General Property Tax Questions

1. When are property tax bills mailed out?

The current year property tax bills are mailed out by October 1 or as soon as all information is provided to the Trustee. Property tax bills are mailed to the owner of record (as of January 1). If a deed change occurs after the first of the year, a tax bill is mailed to the new owner of the property as a courtesy. New owners should contact their title company or review their closing statement to determine who is responsible for paying the taxes.

2. What time of year are property taxes due?

Taxes are due and payable the first Monday of October through the last day of February.

3. Are partial payments accepted for my taxes? 

Yes, Obion County is proud of the fact that we now accept partial payments for your convenience. Any amount left unpaid when the taxes become delinquent are assessed interest. Until the tax amount is paid in full, a tax lien will remain in effect on your property. There will not be additional statements mailed for the remaining balance.  It is the homeowners’ responsibility to make sure all taxes are paid in full.

4. What happens if I miss the tax payment deadline? 

From the first day of each month beginning March 1, interest of 1.5% per month (18% annually) is added to your tax amount. The Trustee accepts postmarked envelopes.  If the post office fails to postmark your payment by the date due, it is considered a late payment. This applies even if you mail your payment on time. Online property tax payments made through the BIS system are recognized by the county as paid on the date of the online transaction. If the taxes are not paid in the Trustee’s Office, the Trustee is required to file the delinquent taxes to the Chancery Court in March of the following year.

5. What time period do my annual taxes cover?

The taxes that become payable October 1 cover the current calendar year.

6. Where can my tax bill be paid in person? 

The Trustee's office is in room 3 on the first floor of the Obion County Courthouse. Our office hours are 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday. Our mailing address is P O Box 147, Union City, TN 38281. Our physical address is 3 Bill Burnett Circle, Union City, TN 38261. You can also pay online at http://www.tennesseetrusttee.org


7. What does the term "Etux", Etvir”, or Etal mean on the property tax bill mean? 

Etux is a Latin phrase meaning "and wife." The phrase "Etvir" means "and husband," Etal means "and others."

 8. What do some of the terms on my tax bill mean? 

Check the  online glossary section for definitions of terms on your tax bill.

 9. Does my mortgage company get a copy of my tax bill mailed to them? 

No. It is the property owner's responsibility to forward tax bills to their mortgage company. Tax bills are mailed to the property owner to review the information.


1. What is Tax Relief?

The Obion County Trustee administers a state funded Tax Relief Program to help taxpayers 65 or older, disabled citizens, and veterans pay their property taxes. For qualifying applicants, the state will pay all or part of the property taxes on their home (including mobile homes) depending on the maximum amount of Tax Relief credit given in relation to the taxes due. 

2. What are the guidelines for the Tax Relief Program?

Eligibility requirements for ELDERLY: One owner must turn 65 or older on or before December 31 of the tax year they are applying for. Must own and use the property as your primary residence. Combined  annual income from all sources for all owners of the property must not exceed $29,270 for 2017. If married, the spouse's income is included whether or not they have an ownership in the property.

Eligibility Requirements for DISABLED: Disability status must be current. Must own and use the property as your primary residence. Combined 2017 annual income for all owners of the property must not exceed $29,270. If married, the spouse's income is included whether or not they have an ownership in the property.

Eligibility requirements for DISABLED VETERAN-OR Surviving Spouse of Disabled Veteran-OR Surviving Spouse of Soldier Killed in Action: Must be 100% disabled as determined by the VA. Must own and use the property as your primary residence. Income does not apply to disabled veterans or their surviving spouses.

REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION FOR ELDERLY AND DISABLED: Social Security & Medicare Cards of all owners and spouses, 1099 from Social Security indicating income for elderly and disabled owners, Date Disability Began. If you have a Life Estate: Are any beneficiaries living with you? Copy of the Life Estate. Documentation from ALL other sources of income. Examples: 1040 (Income Tax) / Retirement-Pension / Interest, Alimony, etc. If you live in a Mobile Home: Copy of Bill of Sale or Title.

REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION FOR DISABLED VETERAN: Complete Pre-Approval form (F-16) available in Trustee's Office. Social Security Number and VA Claim Number.


Where Do I Apply?

Visit the Trustee's Office in the Courthouse

Office hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

You may also be eligible for tax relief on City taxes. Contact the appropriate City Hall for further information.   



HORNBEAK                (731) 538-9626

KENTON                     (731) 749-5767

OBION                         (731) 536-6242

RIVES                         (731) 536-5689

SAMBURG                  (731) 538-3235

SOUTH FULTON        (731) 479-2151

TRIMBLE                     (731) 297-3955

TROY                           (731) 536-4745

UNION CITY                (731) 885-1341

WOODLAND MILLS    (731) 885-8754

                                                  * Pay WM taxes in the County Trustee’s Office                                              

Reviewing Your Property Info

1. Is there a charge for reviewing information about my property? 

For an individual property, there is no charge for reviewing tax information.

2. Is my property information viewable by other people?

Any individual or company is allowed to review it. Property tax information is public record.

  Property Assessment

1. Where can I find information about the assessed value of my property?

The county assessor is responsible for the appraisal and assessment of property. You may contact the county assessor's office at (731) 885-2931.

2. How are the county assessor's office and the trustee's office related?

The county assessor is responsible for the appraisal and assessment of property, according to state law. The trustee's office is responsible for billing and collection of taxes based on assessments. The trustee has no authority over the amount of assessment, nor can he/she be involved in the appraisal process.

3. What is the appeal process? 

Appointments can be made by contacting the assessor's office. The appeal process begins in the county assessor's office by appearing before the Local Board of Equalization. This board meets annually usually during June.

Tax Sale Information

1. Does the Trustee’s Office hold tax sales for delinquent taxes?

The Obion County Trustee’s Office does not have tax sales. Tax sales are processed by the delinquent tax attorney. For additional information contact the Obion County Chancery Court at (731) 885-2562.