General Property Questions


1.  When are property tax bills mailed out?

Property tax bills are mailed in October of each year.  They are mailed to the owner of record (as of 1 January).  If a deed change occurs after the first of the year, a tax bill will be mailed to the new owner of the property as a courtesy.  New owners should contact their title company or review their closing statement to determine who is responsible for paying the taxes. Payment of property tax depends on when the property is transferred.  Unpaid taxes continue to accrue against the property. 


2.  When are Dickson County Property taxes due?

Taxes are due the first Monday in October through the last day of February of the following year without interest charges.


3.  Can I make partial payments?

Partial payments can be made on the current year's taxes, as long as taxes are paid in full by the February due date.  You may begin making payments when you receive your tax notice.  Prepayment of taxes (ACH) is available.


4.  What happens if I miss the tax payment deadline?

County property tax notices are mailed out in October and are payable beginning the first Monday in October.  They become delinquent March 1 each year.  The Trustee's Office collects County property taxes for the current year.  Delinquent taxes remain in the Trustee's Office for one year while accruing interest of 1½% per month (18%) annually.  After taxes have been delinquent for one year, they are turned over to the Dickson County Chancery Court and the Delinquent Tax Attorney for pursuit of collection.  Once delinquent taxes are turned over to Chancery Court, additional fees accumulate as a result of prosecuting the tax collection suit.  Interest continues to accumulate.  After the conclusion of the delinquent tax suit, the County holds a tax sale to sell property in order to collect delinquent taxes.


5.  What time period do these taxes cover?

The taxes that become payable October 1 cover the current calendar year.


6.  Where can I pay my taxes?

You can mail your check or money order payable to Dickson County Trustee, P.O. Box 246, Charlotte, TN  37036.  You may also bring your payment to the Trustee's Office located in the Courthouse in Charlotte, or to our branch office located at 303 Henslee Drive in Dickson.  Our offices are open 8:00 am until 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. We also have a drop box located at our Henslee Drive location.  If you wish, you can pay current year taxes at all local banks, but you must have your tax notice, and only full payments can be accepted.


7.  What does the term "Etux" beside my husband's name on the property bill mean?

Etux is a Latin phrase meaning "and wife."  The phrase Etvir means "and husband."  Etal means "and others."


8.  What do some of the terms on my tax bill mean?

Check the online glossary section for definitions of terms on your tax bill.


9.  Does my mortgage company get a copy of my tax bill mailed to them?

No.  It is the property owner’s responsibility to forward tax bills to their mortgage company.  Tax bills are mailed to the property owner to review the information.


10. My Name and/or Address are incorrect.  What needs to be done?

Contact the Assessor of Property’s office at 615-789-7015.


11. How does filing Bankruptcy affect my taxes?

Upon receiving a bankruptcy notice, a deputy in the Trustee's Office files a claim.  Taxes are generally paid in installments approved by the Bankruptcy Court.  Under federal law, the Trustee is prohibited from taking any action in collecting realty and personal property taxes, until the bankruptcy is dismissed or discharged.  We will still mail a tax notice just to let you know what your current taxes are.  If you are in bankruptcy, this notice is not an attempt to collect these taxes.


12. What are “Real” property taxes?

This tax is calculated based on the appraisal of the land and buildings located on the property.  Each year the Assessor of Property provides the Trustee with a “certified tax roll.”  This roll contains the name and addresses of all property owners as of January 1 as well as the appraisal values and assessment values based on property usage.  The Trustee’s Office applies the tax rate adopted by the County Commission for the fiscal year to arrive at the base amount of property tax due.  If property is bought or sold during the tax year, the purchaser is responsible for taxes not paid at the closing of the property.  Please contact the Trustee’s Office to request a duplicate tax bill.  Failure to receive a bill does not excuse the taxpayer from paying taxes.


13. What are "Personal" property taxes?

Personal property taxes are taxes that are based on temporary or moveable property such as furnishings, office machines, computers, telephones, vehicles and other such items that are used by a company or a person to operate a business. The tax is based upon information furnished to the Assessor of Property each year by the business.  The Assessor furnishes a schedule for each business owner to provide a detailed list of all tangible personal property owned by the business.  The Assessor determines the value of your personal property based on the information supplied.
It is the duty of the taxpayer to fully list all tangible personal property, to place a correct value on the property and to sign and return the schedule prior to the due date.  If the schedule is not returned prior to the due date, a forced assessment is given.

Anyone in business on January 1 of any given year is responsible for the entire year's tax, even if they closed their business prior to December 31 of that same year.

If you close your business, you must first contact the Dickson County Clerk's Office to cancel your business license.  Also, contact the Assessor of Property’s Office to inform them that your business is closed in order to take your business off the tax roll for the next year.


14. What do my Property Taxes do?

All services provided by Dickson County Government are made available as a result of tax revenues collected.  The greatest amount of revenue received is from sales tax and property tax.



1.  Are there any discounts or exemptions for the elderly, disabled or disabled veterans?

The State of Tennessee offers its Tax Relief Program for low-income elderly, disabled and disabled veterans.  Eligibility requirements include:  age/disability; ownership/ residency; and income (except veterans and their eligible surviving spouses).  To apply for property tax relief, you must meet three basic criteria - these are described below.


During the tax year for which they are applying, an applicant must turn 65 on or before December 31.  In order to apply as a disabled homeowner, a person must have become disabled on or before December 31 of the tax year.  Disabled veterans must have a total and permanent disability rating from a service-connected disability that meets certain criteria under state guidelines.  Widow(er)s of disabled veterans may be eligible as well if they meet the qualifications.  An applicant may apply if they are awaiting a decision on their disability claim. The state
office must receive the final decision by June 30 following the delinquency date. The final
decision must indicate their disability began on or before December 31 of the tax year.


An applicant must be able to document that they had ownership of the taxable property during the tax year.  Ownership may be documented by a tax bill/receipt, warranty deed, probated will, title or bill of sale for a mobile home.

Income Requirement (Elderly or Disabled Homeowners)

For the 2019 tax year, the combined 2018 annual income from all sources including the applicant, spouse and all owners of record is required and cannot exceed $29,860. Annual income from all sources shall include, but is not limited to; Social Security payments less the Medicare deduction, supplemental security income (SSI), retirement and pension benefits, veteran's benefits, worker's compensation, unemployment compensation, salaries and wages, alimony, total interest and total dividends.  For business and/or rental income, include only the net income or loss after expenses as documented by your federal income tax return.

Disabled Veterans and Qualified Disabled Veterans Widow(er)

Disabled veterans must have disabilities that meet specific criteria or specific service- connected disabilities.  For veterans who qualify, there is no income limit.  Tax relief is paid on the first $175,000 of market value of the home.  The eligibility requirements for a widow or widower of a disabled veteran must also meet certain specifications.  Applications for tax relief are available in the Trustee's Office.  You may go to https://www.comptroller.tn.gov/pa/patxr.asp for more information on how to qualify for this program.



Reviewing Your Property Info


1.  Is there a charge for reviewing information about my property?

For an individual property, there is no charge for reviewing tax information.


2.  Is my property information viewable by other people?

Any individual or company is allowed to review it.  Property tax information is public record.



Property Assessment


1.  Where can I find information about the assessed value of my property?

The Assessor of Property is responsible for the appraisal and assessment of property.


2.  How are the Assessor of Property’s Office and the Trustee's Office related?

The Assessor of Property is responsible for the appraisal and assessment of property, according to state law.  The Trustee's Office is responsible for billing and collection of taxes based on assessments.  The Trustee has no authority over the amount of assessment, nor can she be involved in the appraisal process.


3.  What is the appeal process?

The appeal process begins in the Assessor of Property’s Office by appearing before the Local Board of Equalization.  This board meets annually during the first two weeks of June.  Appointments can be made by contacting the Assessor of Property’s Office.